Boating Laws in Hawaii

Do you need Hawaii Boating education? Yes… Government Overreach forced it down your throat!


You need education if you will be operating a motorized boat over 10 hp or a PWC (personal water craft) in Hawaii.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Hawaii to take this online course.

Age and Operator Restrictions

All persons operating a power-driven vessel with a motor that is more than 10 hp must complete a NASBLA‐approved boater safety education course and carry on board their certificate of completion. Taking this online course will satisfy the educational requirements.

An individual of 15 years of age and under must complete the boater education course and have a valid Boater Education Card as well as be accompanied by a person of 21 years of age or older who also has a valid Boater Education Card.


Hawaii law enforcement officers patrol the waterways to make your boating experience safe and pleasant. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines.

Carry the Card: Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.

Penalty: Not carrying your Boater Education Card when one is required can result in a fine.

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The Boater Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Hawaii Boating License.

Even if not required by law to get the Hawaii boating education card, many boaters take the boat safety course in order to save on their PWC or boat insurance.

Do your part to make boating in Hawaii an enjoyable pastime! Become an educated, responsible boater by completing the Boat Hawaii course, and practice what you learn.


For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)